As Colorado natives, we’re passionate about supporting Colorado businesses, farmers and ranchers, and doing our part to keep Colorado beautiful. We live in a stunning locale – the Royal Gorge. Mother nature’s imprint is all over this place. It’s our responsibility and our pleasure to ensure it retains its beauty and recreational value for generations to come.
We also take recycling pretty darn seriously. Of course we recycle the obvious stuff, but we also recycle kitchen oils for fuel and are looking for more ways to be increasingly fuel-efficient. Additionally, when we’re seeking out materials for any project, we look for earth-friendly options to get the job done.
Taking care of our natural world goes hand-in-hand with our commitment to sourcing and serving as many local, organic and natural ingredients as we can on our breakfast, lunch and dinner trains. This makes our guests really happy – and it’s the right thing to do.
Take a look at some of the amazing local goods we’re serving on the train:
- We find our Quinoa at White Mountain Farm Quinoa-Mosca in Colorado. The farm is located in an ancient lakebed called the
San Luis Valley, between the San Juan and Sangre de Cristo Mountains of the Southern Colorado Rocky Mountains, at an elevation of about 7,600 feet. Quinoa is known as the Mother Grain of the Incas. It’s high in protein and has a rich, delicate, nutty taste. Visit www.whitemountainfarm.com to learn more.
- All of our Chicken comes from Red Bird Farms. They raise antibiotic-free, cage-free chicken, without hormones or steroids. The chickens are healthy, safe and clean. www.redbirdfarms.com
- Our Angus and Buffalo Burgers come from Sterling Silver Meat Co. Their beef is selected from only the top tier Choice and Prime grades, based on quality and not breed. With 80 percent more flavor than lower quality beef, they require all products be rated modest or higher, which results in tender, juicy, rich and authentic beef flavor. www.sterlingsilvermeats.com
- Our popular Pork Osso Bucco comes from Frontier Natural Meats in Colorado, where animals are never exposed to antibiotics or feed that contains animal byproducts. www.frontierenaturalmeats.com
- All of our bread comes from Harvest Moon Bakery in Denver, handmade and prepared in Colorado without preservatives. www.harvestmoonbakingco.com
- We serve HCA Wines (Riesling, Chard, Merlot, Cab Franc) from the The Winery Holy Cross Abbey in Cañon City. They have won more than 100 awards and medals in prestigious international wine competitions in the last three years. www.abbeywinery.com
- All our coffee comes from Solar Roast Coffee in Pueblo. It’s 100% USDA Organic Coffee, solar-aroma roasted with solar power. Solar Roast Coffee also has the word’s only commercial solar powered coffee roaster. They roast their coffee slow and low, like good barbecue, for a smooth taste. www.solarroast.com
- Breckenridge Distillery supplies us with a variety of their tasty Breckenridge Bourbon and Vodka options. ”The World’s Highest Distillery” blends water from the Rocky Mountain snowmelt for mineral infused perfection. www.breckenridgedistillery.com
CRAFT BEER SELECTION
- Laughing Lab is Bristol Brewing’s most popular brew among beer drinkers and beer judges alike, with nine medals to its name since 1994 at the Great American Beer Festival alone. The Lab has a complex maltiness that comes from a careful blend of specialty malts. Its nutty, roasted flavor is mildly sweet, but not too rich. Smooth and luscious! www.bristolbrewing.com
- White Rascal is Avery Brewery’s famous citrusy, floral and crisp IPA, best paired with many rich meals, as the hops are known to cut through rich flavors. www.averybrewing.com
- Buster Nut Brown from SKA Brewery is best paired with red meats and cheese. The flavors of roast, toast, chocolate, bitterness, spice, and earthy hops come together into one sessionable brown ale. The touch of bitterness and flavor keep this from being overly sweet. www.skabrewing.com
- And of course, our very own Royal Gorge Route Rogue from San Louis Valley Brewing. Described as a bit of an English IPA, this brew is a crisp, deep red pale ale. The addition of an English yeast strain brings new flavors to the party and a balanced, clean finish. Perfect for sunny days in the Open Air Car. www.slvbrewco.com